Last Updated on April 19, 2023 by RizwanTheDev
If you are someone who’s looking to buy binoculars, many times, you would have come across some ads on your social media accounts or online marketplaces about the sale of some old and used binoculars, and you are wondering, “Are old binoculars worth money.” Or you are someone who can’t afford a pair of new binoculars but wants to enjoy birdwatching or nature sightseeing. Whether you belong to the first category of people who want to own a pair of binoculars and have come across such advertisements or the second category who want a pair of binoculars but can’t afford one, we got your back. We will address all your old binoculars-related queries and tell you whether they are worth your money. So without much ado, let’s get started!
Are Old Binoculars Worth Money?
The answer to that question isn’t just that straightforward. Still, we can address it, like whether the old binoculars are worth the money; it depends upon the model and features of the pair of binoculars and its current condition.
Buying old or used binoculars is more challenging than it may seem for many people. It depends on how much confidence you have in the item and whether you are willing to spend considerable money on a good quality pair.
You might be wondering, won’t you miss the recent updates on buying old binoculars? My friend, truth to be told, no doubt that brands update their models, but these upgrades frequently focus more on altering the design to stay current with fashion, and quite frequently, improvements to the accessories are made rather than changes to the optics. So you won’t be missing out much in terms of functionality and optical quality.
Can You Buy Used Binoculars?
We are all familiar with the need to buy a new pair of binoculars. Many people do not want or need their old binoculars and are willing to sell them, allowing you to buy good, sturdy, and functional binoculars at a very low price.
So first thing first, before you begin to make any offers, you need to decide what type of binoculars you are planning on buying, whether you want a high magnification option or the wider field of view the feature you are looking for.
Now, the question arises, “Can you buy used binoculars for cheap?” The answer to that is buying used binoculars means that you are buying at an affordable price. Not only does it save money, but it also gives you the opportunity to get good-quality binoculars. So, buying old used binoculars is a good way to save money.
Old Binoculars vs. New Binoculars, Which one should You Choose?
The answer to whether you should buy old binoculars or not can be both “Yes” and “No.” Buying old binoculars is excellent if you are in dire straits or need an easy way to save money on your budget and are getting a pair of binoculars that are in good condition. You may be lucky and find an old professional pair from a long time ago that has been used by someone else, which may give you excellent quality for half the price it would cost to buy a new pair. On the other hand, if all the old binoculars you come across aren’t in good shape and you can afford a new pair of binoculars, then nothing is better than that; get yourself brand new shiny binos.
What is the Cost of Old Binoculars?
The cost of old binoculars can vary from seller to seller, and it also depends upon the particular model you are buying and the condition it is in. Generally, a used pair of binoculars can cost you anywhere between $50 and $200. In the case of old lenses that require repairs, the price can be as low as $50, whereas the well-maintained binoculars from well-known brands with a lifetime warranty can cost you about $200.
Are Vintage Binoculars Worth the Money?
Well, the answer to that depends upon the purpose of buying such binoculars. People interested in vintage binoculars mostly want to make them a part of their collection to embellish their showcases. Contrary to other viewing devices, the fundamental design of binoculars has remained the same in the past century. Hundreds of different types of binoculars were manufactured during World War II, and many are still regarded as among the best available today. There hasn’t been a major technological improvement in that time other than optical coatings, which were developed during the war to increase light transmission while decreasing glare and reflection. All in all, if you own a pair of high-quality antique or vintage binoculars in good condition, many people are interested in this collectible category. So, your vintage binos can be worth more than you think, at least more than what you can get from a garage sale.
How to Find a Suitable Pair of Old Binoculars?
It is a common scenario that we need help finding the right binoculars. We can opt for the most affordable used binoculars and buy them from a seller who knows how to sell them at an affordable price, but is it all? No, this is only a part of the story, and we can never be sure that these binoculars will work just fine. So, the question arises: what features should you look for when buying old binoculars?
Firstly, you should define the purpose of your purchase. If you want a vintage pair of binoculars to make a part of your collection and display in your showcase, then it’s just the looks you are concerned with. On the other hand, if you plan on using binoculars for your outdoor pursuits like birding and hunting, you should check for their optical quality, durability, and performance.
While buying old binoculars, you should look for the brand that made those binoculars. It is always better to go for a well-known brand that offers a lifetime warranty, like Leupold, Athlon, Vortex, etc.
Condition of the Binoculars
This is something that you should look for when buying old used binoculars. You should ensure that the binoculars are intact or the lenses are not cracked. Moreover, make sure it fits your needs_While this may seem like common sense, but you want to make sure you can use your binoculars and accessories you are buying properly.
Find out what is included in the box with the binoculars. We often don’t think about what’s included in an item when we buy something, but it can make a big difference when you consider all of the great extras, such as carrying cases, shoulder straps, and other items that may come with your purchase.
Try Multiple Retailers
While this may seem like a waste of time, it can help give you a wider choice. It will also help to save money and find you the best price.
Ask yourself, “What is my budget?” When looking for products, it’s always good to ask yourself whether or not you can afford them.
How to Properly Care for Your Old Binoculars?
Binoculars are one of the most popular and important tools in our life. We all have binoculars somewhere in our house. You may want to use them for a long time, but unfortunately, the binoculars will only work best if they are in good condition. After the binoculars have been used for quite some time without cleaning, some dirt or dust can accumulate in them, negatively affecting their optical quality. To avoid such scenarios and save your life from other damages, you must take care of your binoculars as soon as possible so that nothing happens to them in the future. In this section, we will discuss tips on properly caring for your binoculars before you need any of them for a long time.
- Cleaning your binoculars is not difficult; you should clean them regularly to prevent any problems from happening. Usually, dust and other stuff on your binoculars can affect the quality of what is seen through its lenses, so you need to clean them regularly, which will help reduce the risk of damaging them.
- It doesn’t matter how old the spy binoculars are; you need to keep them clean so that they remain in good condition. Cleaning the binoculars at least once a week is recommended to help keep them clean and in working order. You can use some cleaning solvent, spray them off and then wipe them down with a damp cloth. But whatever you do, don’t leave anything stuck to the glass or the lenses when you’re done. This will result in scratching and other damage to the optics.
- While cleaning binoculars, you must first unpack everything and ensure no dirt inside the case or lose parts on the lens. That will make it easier for you to clean the lens without any problem. Once you do that, you need to move on to cleaning, for which you need to place the binoculars on a clean, dry surface, such as a towel, and ensure that there is no water on the lens or other parts of the binoculars.
- Use a thin, fine bristles brush to remove tiny particles from your binoculars without harming the lenses.
- The best way to remove fingerprints is with a soft-bristle brush similar to what you use for cleaning your makeup brushes. For fingerprints on the lenses, wipe them off with a soft-bristle cloth soaked in a cleaning solution. Use this to clean the lenses.
- When cleaning your binoculars, ensure you do not use abrasive products like sandpaper, as these can scratch the lenses and cause them to deteriorate quickly.
- After cleaning the binoculars, slide the protective cloth back onto them. You can keep them this way for about a week before reusing them. Remember to put them away in a safe place.
- When you need to take these binoculars out of the case, use a thin cloth or paper between the eyepiece lens and your fingers. This will help protect them from dust and dirt. Keep old binoculars out of your car’s glove compartment, as dust tends to accumulate, especially with older leather models.
- It’s always better to get your binoculars out of harm’s way while on the tripod. Refrain from dropping or shaking them around too much. Be sure not to touch the lens of any old binoculars or cameras with your fingers, as this could damage them.
- A high humidity, high temperature, or dusty environment is not a good place to store binoculars. Binoculars should ideally be stored in a plastic bag or an airtight container with desiccant-like silica gel packets.
Five Reasons to Buy Old Binoculars
Binoculars are a good investment that you can buy at any store. We all know that binoculars are very important in our daily lives and can last for years if used properly. They can be used for sports and outdoor activities and make certain images clearer. But what do we really know about their benefits?
- There are several benefits to having a good pair of used binoculars. They can aid you in birdwatching or hunting without breaking the bank.
- The best thing about these old binoculars is that you can use them for almost any purpose, and some people may even find that they are as good as a new pair of quality ones.
- Well-maintained old binoculars are perfect for anyone who wants to do astronomy, landscape photography, and videos because they produce a very good image quality.
- You can get good deals on old binoculars online.
- No doubt old binos might not have all the most recent features of current models. But if the high-quality binoculars are purchased early on, and the owner has cared for them properly over the years, they will continue to function as well as they did when he first bought them. This means that if you buy such old binos, you don’t have to buy new binoculars every year or so, as they will remain in great condition for a long time once the optics are cleaned up.
Cons of Buying Old Binoculars
Every picture has two sides, and buying old binoculars has some benefits, but there are also some disadvantages. Here we will give you a brief glimpse of the cons of buying old binoculars, but it is worth mentioning that it can vary depending upon the particular model of binoculars.
- You might be missing some new features like ED glasses or advanced lens coatings
- Binoculars’ build and quality deteriorate if they are not properly taken care of
- They might be too big and bulky
We can finally conclude “Are old binoculars worth the money” simply by saying that, of course, they are worth your money. As long as you are getting your hands on well-maintained, good-quality binoculars from a well-known brand, you will get amazing optical quality and performance without breaking the bank; you are good to go. We hope you have learned something new about old and used binoculars today. So, what you have to do is to make a wise choice by considering all your options.
Have a nice day!
What do you do with old binoculars?
If you no longer want your old binoculars and want to make some extra space in your closet, you may very well donate your optics to aspiring birders here or overseas, but that does not mean you can’t sell them. Any binoculars you may have sitting around the home could be valuable. Selling or refurbishing old binoculars is a reasonably simple process and requires a little effort. So, it depends upon the gadget’s condition and your preference for what you want to do with your old binoculars.
How can I sell my binoculars?
Depending on your preference for selling your binoculars, you can opt for any online or local retailers. You can use your social media accounts to advertise the binoculars or sell them on online marketplaces like eBay and Amazon.
Are old binoculars still good?
Well, the exact answer to that question depends upon the quality of the particular pair of binoculars you own and the extent to which you took care of it over the years. As long as you start out with a nice pair of binoculars and properly maintain them by cleaning them and carefully storing them, they will last a very long time and function just as well as the day you bought them.
Do pawn shops buy used binoculars?
Pawn shops buy used binoculars, so if you want to make some extra space in your closet and some extra bucks in your hands, you can sell your used binoculars to a pawn shop.
Can binoculars deteriorate over time?
Due to abrupt temperature fluctuations, water can condense inside your binocular lenses, resulting in inner condensation. If not addressed at the right time in the right way, it can negatively affect the optical performance of your binos by deteriorating their lens quality.